Feeling A Bit Useless

A useless stock photo. Seriously, I typed 'useless' into Pixabay and this came up. Take than protein-lovers!

A useless stock photo. Seriously, I typed ‘useless’ into Pixabay and this came up. Take that protein ball lovers!

I love it when the blogosphere bands its members together for a good cause. This week, that noble aim is to liberate bloggers themselves from the oppression of their own high expectations. Today, I stand with my bloggers-in-arms to celebrate the useless blogpost. Vive la futilité!

People blog for a range of reasons. For some, it’s pure hobby; for others, a thriving business. For loads of bloggers (this charming one included) it’s a weird little dance between authentic writing and the odd sponsored piece to pay the bills. If you’re lucky, you grow a community of regular readers around you, and make a few connections with other bloggers whose work excites and inspires you.

But, as the blog grows, so does the innate human need to please. You start watching the numbers, making compromises, trying to read the minds of any ‘likers’ who’ve jumped ship.

Then the next step: apologising for yourself. Sorry I haven’t written much lately. Sorry this post is less interesting than the last one. Sorry I can’t keep this linky going…I have kids…and work…or both… Just sorry, ok!!

But hang on a minute – wasn’t this supposed to be fun?

So today, my friends, we’re taking it old school. A useless blog post will not change your life. It won’t provide lunch box ideas or napkin folding printables. It won’t improve your home, your fashion sense or your medical condition. It will not offer a single inspirational quote.

A useless blog post might…

• literally describe what the blogger had for breakfast (an Optifast shake. Bleuch! I have a few medical problems at the moment and I need to shed some kilos. Unpleasant.)
  • have a whinge about some first world problems (and so, I went to the dentist for a check up and discovered I needed a root canal! I didn’t even have any pain, until I saw the quote for over $2000.)
  • include some cute things that kids say (my son keeps asking to play Ponopoly these school holidays. I just can’t convince him it starts with an M. Sigh. So cute.)
  • discuss the less-than-cute things that kids do (my daughter really struggles with sleep. It brings the whole family down some weeks. I feel so worried for her.)
  • offer a dissenting opinion about pop culture (I didn’t like Zootopia. I just didn’t).
  • might even include a ‘wow’ moment (one of my favourite authors paid my writing a huge compliment yesterday) but the wow factor will be personal and have no impact whatsoever on your life.

It will not be marketable, clickable or attractive to sponsors. What it will do, though, is celebrate real life, community and freedom of expression – the reasons I started blogging in the first place and the reason I’m still here…occasionally.

Hmmm, not so useless after all then, eh?

Join the movement! #uselessblogger

Visit some other useless blog posts at Maxabella Loves, Mummy, Wife Me, VeggieMamaI Give You The Verbs, Allison Tait and many more to come I’m sure.

16 comments for “Feeling A Bit Useless

1. April 6, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Thanks for the mention. Go #uselessblogging!!
    I wholeheartedly agree with you.
    The apologising and the fretting…. aye aye aye!!
    Connection and conversation, that’s what I want.

April 15, 2016 at 12:14 pm

Indeed! It’s the connection that makes people stay, no matter what attracted them to the blog in the first place.

2. April 6, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Love that protein balls came up when you searched ‘useless’ photos. I really do enjoy your writing so keep it up, useless or not! And, anyway, I found this post rather entertaining so it hasn’t been totally useless!
    P.S. A friend asked the boys if they preferred Kung Fu Panda 3, or Zootopia. They both preferred Zootopia. More humour in it for them, I think. Or maybe it was the cute bunny.

April 15, 2016 at 12:13 pm

My kids loved Zootopia, but I clearly had my over-thinking cap on and was looking at it from the perspective of its bigger picture messages. It seemed to be all about acceptance and diversity, but yet was packed with stereotypes and figures of fun who were more tolerated than accepted. I’ll write a long post about it sometime! Meanwhile, my son is begging me to make him a Nick Wilde costume!

• April 15, 2016 at 12:18 pm

That character does have a cheeky appeal, even though he was technically a con artist/liar! Something to aspire to…not! Ah, but it’s the message that everyone has redeeming qualities and can turn their life around once someone believes in them, and they can believe in themselves, that wins the day!

3. April 6, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Not useless at all. Very interesting. I’m a shocker for apologising for my blog or my facebook page. It doesn’t even make sense. Why should I be apologising? Sigh. That root canal bill sounds painful. Dave has to get one also, plus a crown. Arghhh!!!!! I’d be interested to hear more about your views on Zootopia. I really loved it, but I know a few, and their kids, who didn’t.

April 15, 2016 at 12:10 pm

I will blog about Zootopia when time permits and I become a more ‘useful’ blogger, lol. Poor Dave on the root canal front. The bill definitely hurts as much as the procedure! And I agree about apologising! Why, because my poor readers have so little going on in their lives that they can’t go a day without hearing my random views about something? Or because I’ve failed to produce something that no one asked me to write in the first place? No logic!

4. April 6, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Oh it feels so good, doesn’t it? I’m going to try to write a useless post every day for a week. I like it. x
    PS – Zootopia is a big no from me too. Tried too hard.

April 15, 2016 at 12:07 pm

I’m SO glad to hear you say that about Zootopia. There was so much going on that it started to contradict its own ‘positive’ messages. I need to write a blog about it, but I haven’t managed it yet. Useless! :)

5. Lisa
    April 6, 2016 at 11:34 pm

Hi Lara, it has been a lovely “useless” 24hours reading some fab blogs. Congrats on the writing kudos. Will give Zootopia a miss I think.

April 15, 2016 at 12:06 pm

I’ve been so slow finally catching up on all the useless blogs! Useless again! It was a pleasure to read through them all. So many beautiful expressions of the same sentiment.

6. April 7, 2016 at 6:37 am

OMG WHAT WAS THE COMPLIMENT? Do not do that to us!

April 15, 2016 at 12:05 pm

I could tell you, but I’d have to shoot you – or worse, bore you for hours raving on about my haphazard career trajectory and the way I oscillate from wanting to be a grown up writer to wanting to earn real money and how much I admire real writers but doubt my own abilities and … it was a bit of a ‘moment’. 😉

7. April 13, 2016 at 2:47 pm

I don’t like Frozen. There, I said it.

April 15, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I liked it well enough the first time. It was the 75000 other times that I lost the love!

Comments are closed.