Trial a new Plantar fasciitis treatment? I jumped at the chance!

Futuro Plantar fasciitis night sleep support in box Are you on the lookout for a new Plantar fasciitis treatment?  A year ago I’d never even heard of this painful affliction, let alone be spruiking solutions!  But ever since putting a name to the intense foot pain I’ve been experiencing for several months, I find that every second person I speak to has a story about it!  People grumble about the discomfort they feel when taking the first, stiff steps out of bed in the morning;  or the endless rounds of physio treatment that offer only temporary relief.   Now, when I say ‘people’, I really mean me.  I grumble.  A lot!  So, when I heard about the Futuro Night Plantar Fasciitis Sleep Support I jumped at the chance to try it out!  Well, when I say ‘jumped’…

So, what is Plantar fasciitis when it’s at home?

Plantar fasciitis 101

Plantar fasciitis 101

I blogged about Plantar fasciitis only recently (were you paying attention?) when I was tackling foot pain in the lead up to a major sporting challenge.  Your Plantar fasciia (yes, everybody has one!) is a band of fibrous tissue that runs the length of the bottom of your foot up to the heel.   When it gets inflamed, it causes sharp pain around the heel and/or tenderness under the arch.  Mine got cranky when I started slamming it regularly at the gym after a period of (ahem) absence from exercise.  The worst pain is when I first get up in the morning.  It takes me a good half hour to go from limping like I’m nursing an old war wound to walking upright as my foot gradually works out how to cope with weight bearing after a period of rest.   So frustrating!

A night splint to relieve foot pain?

Genuine Charming foot

Genuine Charming foot

The physio treatment I’ve had generally involves stretching the Plantar fasciia and strapping the ankle and arch for support.  I was interested to see that the Futuro Sleep Support works on similar principles.  It is a firm but flexible splint that simultaneously restricts movement – taking pressure off the tendons – and applies a gentle, constant stretch to the Plantar fasciia while you sleep.  Stretching stops the area from contracting while at rest and causing increased pain when you take those first steps of a morning.  The Futuro sleep support holds your foot at a 90° angle, or ‘flexion’ position.

It’s super easy to put on, is fully adjustable for comfort and the slim line design means you can pop a sock over it on a cold night.   It is not designed to be load bearing (you can’t wear it while you jog) but you can walk around in it if you have to.  It feels quite cosy to wear – a bit like a big slipper – but the breathable fabric also means it doesn’t get sweaty or itchy.   It’s designed to ensure you don’t do anything to further aggravate your condition overnight, which helps you wake up ready for action.

And so, does it work?

Moulded, durable frame - cosy, breathable fabric

Moulded, durable frame – cosy, breathable fabric

I’ve been trialling the Futuro Sleep Support for about 10 days now, and the short answer is yes!  The longer answer is:  it is not a ‘cure’ and may not mean you can forget about those physio bills, but it does definitely make it easier to walk first thing in the morning.  I’ve had no trouble sleeping with it on;  it doesn’t feel cumbersome or uncomfortable.  And when I get up in the morning, I can walk like a fully fledged homo erectus rather than grabbing for the banister to drag myself downstairs.   There is still a certain amount of discomfort, but it is far more manageable.   I presume longer term use would see continual improvement.

The Futuro Night Plantar Fasciitis Sleep Support would also be great for people suffering from arthritis or any other joint and muscle conditions that benefit from fully supported down time during the night.   It gives you half a chance of waking up ready for the day, and generally having a more full and active life (with less of the grumbling).

The Futuro Night Plantar Fasciitis Sleep Support retails at $54.95 and is available from leading pharmacies across Australia.  It’s brand, spanking new, so if you don’t see it on the shelf, ask your pharmacist.

The Futuro Therapeutic Range also includes the Futuro Night Wrist Sleep Support ($69.95) to assist in managing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

For more information about Futuro, please visit www.futurobrand.com.au

This is a sponsored post for 3M Futuro and Digital Parents Collective

13 comments for “Trial a new Plantar fasciitis treatment? I jumped at the chance!

1. Me
    March 28, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Thanks for this – so glad to hear that it is providing some relief for you. I will be sure to suggest it to my client next time I see him.
    Have the best day !
    Me

March 29, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Yes, I would recommend it. Anything that gives a bit of relief is worth a try if you’re in constant pain.

2. March 28, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I have been trialling this as well, after 8 weeks of constant pain I will do anything to find relief! xx N

March 29, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Cool, I’ll be interested to hear how you find it. It’s not a cure for me, in that the pain still comes and goes through the day, but it does make a big difference first thing in the morning. Very hard to start the day in pain and have any sort of motivation! Good luck with yours :)

3. March 28, 2014 at 8:51 pm

OUCH, I hope I NEVER have to know about this. Right now I’m trying hard to manage RSI in my left wrist! Wish me luck! xx

March 29, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Argh, RSI is not cool either. At the risk of sounding totally like a sponsored post, there is a wrist support in this range too. Not sure if it would help give some rest overnight? But wrists are like feet in the sense that you use them constantly through the day. Very hard to truly recover from an injury. Good luck!

4. Jules
    March 28, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Oh this is exciting news! I’ve suffered PF for over 2 years, I look like an 80 year old for the first 30 minutes of waking up and I’m instructed to dose up on pain relief before going for long walks. I’m told it’s incurable. Thanks for sharing I’ll check this out. I’ll tell my sister in the UK too, she has the same! :-)

March 29, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Hi Jules, yes, for me this really helped with that first thing in the morning issue. The pain still comes and goes through the day, and if I do a lot of exercise, but it’s nice to at least start the day not feeling like an old lady!

5. April 7, 2014 at 12:34 am

I’m also suffering with PF and it usually triggers during early mornings. I’m quiet excited trying this. I hope this works.

6. April 23, 2014 at 1:57 am

Interesting that you were able to sleep so well with this dorsal style brace. Most people that I’ve seen that use a night brace have problems or just can’t stick with it long enough – but most of those people were wearing those huge night splints that look like a ski boot. Most peoples’ results seem to echo what you’ve written though, that it’s not THE cure, but it absolutely does help.

I’m glad you found your relief. Both of my parents had it and they were miserable!

April 25, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Yes, it has helped with the early morning pain. I also find it quite comfortable/comforting at the end of the day if my feet hurt. It’s by no means a cure, as you’ve said, but any relief that doesn’t rely on painkillers is welcome!

7. May 16, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for sharing this. It really is painful upon waking up because my foot usually hyperextends. I’ll definitely try this one.

8. April 18, 2015 at 5:04 pm

I wish I don’t ever have to face this condition as it is extremely painful. My friend is suffering from Plantar Fascitis at the moment and trust me every morning he really feels the pain. He has been suffering from it for 6 months and hasn’t fully recovered yet. So, I’ll advise him to try this, but then again it’s up to him if he tries it…