On the day David Tennant bought me a Kindle.

David Tennant [image source: telegraph.co.uk]If you’ve been paying attention over the past year, you’ll have noticed a bit of a trend in This Charming Mum’s taste in men.  Apart from my fantabulous actual husband, there are many husbands of the imaginary variety who make their way through my dreams…and my blog posts:  John Taylor, Colin Firth and other British gents of the moody and brooding variety.  David Tennant is up there. Only he could have persuaded a snooty arts graduate devotee of French cinema (blah, blah, yawn) to fall head over heels with a mainstream sci fi blockbuster.  Added to his prowess as The Doctor is a lilting Scottish brogue and family values (as far as one can tell from a few interviews) which place him firmly at number one on that celebrated (laminated?) Leave Pass.

But more importantly, in real world terms, my new found (and surprising) love of Doctor Who inspired my Mum to buy me a truly kitsch and lovely Tardis money box.  This treasure sits on our kitchen bench and has become the repository for those 5 cent pieces retrieved from under the couch and the odd handful of gold weighing down my purse in grocery week.  Any time the husband or I has a bit of spare change – and remembers to do something with it – it goes in the Tardis.   This approach to saving is surprisingly lucrative!   So far, the Tardis has yielded a coffee machine and an iPad – two of those highly desirable but not strictly essential household items that would probably never have made it into Charming HQ had it not been for our savings plan.

It holds more than you'd think ...

It holds more than you’d think …

This week, the Tardis is buying me a Kindle!  Once again, this is something I’ve wanted for ages but couldn’t really justify while we’re hanging on fairly tightly to our purse strings.   I’ve been reading ebooks on my laptop, phone and occasionally on the iPad (when I can wrestle it away from the kids) but a Kindle will open up a new world of reading and, particularly, of book reviewing.   Like every book geek I, too, love the smell of paper in the morning, but more and more of the books I want to read are cheaper and more accessible electronically now.  If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em (at least occasionally).

I love this system of saving money in the Tardis for a whole bunch of reasons.  It reminds me that every tiny coin has value (a metaphor for life?) and teaches me (and the kids) that life need not always be about instant gratification.  There is satisfaction to be gained in working towards a goal!  Not that we usually have a goal, as such;  we throw the coins in and periodically bank them then decide what the best use of the mula will be.  This is a fantastic tonic if you’re having a low week – it’s not even ‘retail therapy’ in the more extravagant sense, but a guilt-free, credit card-free present!

So, thank you David Tennant, for my coffee machine, my iPad and my Kindle.  Oh and, of course, just for being you.

Does it get any better?

Does it get any better?

Do you have a rainy day savings plan?  What do you do with spare change?

15 comments for “On the day David Tennant bought me a Kindle.

1. February 14, 2013 at 10:30 am

Crumpet, money and electronic gadgetry. A perfect trilogy. Thanks for making me smile this Valentines Day.

February 14, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I hope you were smiling anyway x

2. February 14, 2013 at 11:42 am

Be still my beating heart … I am a swoony Doctor Who fan too. Have blogged Doctor Who Valentine’s Day cards over at housegoeshome.com today and dedicated them to you.

3. February 14, 2013 at 11:47 am

Sorry, did you write something? You had me at David Tennant :-)

February 14, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Yeah, not a great strategy for reader engagement really is it?

4. February 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm

OMG you are going to LOVE that little black thing, possibly more than any man, (bar David Tennant, and possibly your husband), ever. I’m a paper-phile too, but DAMN that Kindle is so portable! And has ALL THE BOOKS inside it! I’ve done so much more reading cos it just keeps jumping inside my handbag.
    How sweet of David to think of you and give you the kind of gift that keeps on giving this Valentine’s Day. :)

5. February 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I’m a massive doctor who fan and LOVE your tardis money box! Is it bigger on the inside?

February 15, 2013 at 3:55 pm

But of course!

6. February 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I can tell you this…once you’ve gone kindle, you’ll never go back. Actually you will but the kindle is fantastic, I was surprised when I got one. I love it sick. I must get a money box, what a good idea. Might steal one of the kids ones…

7. February 19, 2013 at 11:25 am

You have such a way with words, I LOVE it, and that shirt is great! I would love a kindle but one day :)

8. February 21, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I agree with Em! You have a great way with words!
    I had never taken much notice of David Tennant before (the old Dr Who with Tom Baker used to FREAK me out!) But yeah, he’s a babe. Nice choice, Lara! :)

February 22, 2013 at 9:03 am

Thanks Grace – yes, he certainly got me over my dalek-phobia!

9. March 8, 2013 at 12:40 pm

He’s a darlin’ man. My maiden name is Tennent, but sadly no relation as his real name (I am sure you know) is McDonald, something to do with Equity already having a David Tennent. I’ve been watching Dr Who since I was maybe 5 years old, have a beloved Tardis keyring given to me by a friend, and love all things Dr Whoey. I am a big fan of the new Doc, but oh I do still miss the adorable David! (Eccleston was pretty cute too, mind).

March 8, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Yes, Eccleston was good – in fact it was he, to be fair, who got me sucked into the new series. But David is my main man! Thanks for commenting – and for your tweet :)